In this modern world, we are faced with tasks and activities that require our brains to function efficiently, especially in the aspect of memorizing countless things like contact numbers, addresses, faces, schedules and more. The tendency is that we suffer absent-minded, and though there are several means to deal with it (How to Overcome Forgetfulness), it is much better to develop a healthy lifestyle to counter it. Hence, it is wise to incorporate memory-boosting foods in our diet.
Many of these foods help improve brain activity, develop a healthy nervous system, and regulate food flow. These foods contain either of the following essential components:
- Omega-3 fatty acids that help keep the blood vessels and nerve wrappings healthy.
- Antioxidants which are good for better blood circulation and brain function.
- Helpful vitamins like C, E, and especially B vitamins which facilitate the nervous system in the body’s communication system.
- Microelements like zinc and manganese.
- Others like choline, lecithin, serine, and carnitine.
Here are ten foods for a better memory:
1. Herbs. One of the best herbs is rosemary due to its carnosic acid, an antioxidant which dilates the cerebral vascular tissue. Accordingly, the smell of rosemary can improve the memory performance in office workers. Other important herbs include gingko biloba, ginseng and gotu kola. These herbs are known to stimulate the brain’s neurotransmitters.
2. Apples. The skin of these fruits contains anthocyanin which is an excellent memory-enhancer and which makes it color red. It also contains quercetin, an antioxidant that protects against Alzheimer’s disease.
3. Onions. These spices do not only make you cry, it also makes you wise. The yellow and white ones contain great levels of quercetin, while red ones also contain the same antioxidant plus anthocyanin.
4. Grapes. Like all red and purple fruits and vegetables, grapes is rich in quercetin and anthocyanin. Even their reduction into wine can still make them good source of phytochemicals.
5. Berries. Blueberries are the best because of the anthocyanic purple blue pigments and chlorogenic acid found in them. Not only do they help the brain but they are excellent anti-inflammatory agents within them. Other berries which have great health benefits are cherries, cranberries, and raspberries.
6. Spinach. This vegetable contains potassium, magnesium, vitamin B12, and vitamin B6, and folic acid which are a great combination for brain power. The folic acid in spinach helps protect neurons in the brain. These vitamins also play a big part in helping to make healthy red blood cells which is the vehicle to carry oxygen to the brain. Spinach has multitude benefits besides being a healthy brain food. The potassium and magnesium are proven agents in helping to lower the blood pressure.
7. Fortified Whole Grain Cereal. This food contains great amounts of folic acid, a B-vitamin associated with improved memory.
8. Cruciferous vegetables. They include cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and collard greens. The antioxidants in these vegetables can help to retain memory function.
9. Fishes like salmon and tuna. These foods are excellent sources of omega-3 fats. Accordingly, people who ate salmon at least once a week has a 10% slower decline in memory that those without it.
10. Tea. The name “tea” is from the Chinese word “cha” which means “to investigate”. This drink has a healthy combination of antioxidants and caffeine, especially green tea. Specifically, it contains two great memory-boosting components: polyphenol, an antioxidant that help improve cognitive function and memory, and theanine, an amino acid that keeps the mind relaxed and calm.
Other foods that are good for the brain are:
- Red beets